Thursday 10 January 2013

John Hudspith

5/5
Kimi's Fear

Genre: YA Fantasy


Had I not been asked to review Kimi's Secret I'd have missed out on a great book just because it's something I don't normally go for. So I thought I'd use the sequel, Kimi's Fear, to kick off my new review policy!

The cover was very similar to the first book so I felt I knew what I was about to read. I'd have maybe liked a picture of Kimi or one of her friends on the cover instead of the enemies. Would I have bought in on book cover alone? Probably. It's very eye-catching, and the alien (greylian) on the front sparks my sci-fi interest.

The blurb told me what I was about to let myself in for. I was about to meet all the old characters from the first book again, and that was good.  It asks if Kimi can thwart a bounty hunter (keen to turn her over to the greylians so they can use her brain - yikes!), and of course, I know she can, but the line: not without help lets me know I'm going to go on another trip with these madcap characters. Could the blurb make me buy the book? Definitely!

Over all: Kimi's Fear was BETTER than Kimi's Secret and you can't usually say that about sequels. It was fast, funny and very visual, but at times I did wonder if it was too gruesome for the age group it's intended (probably not. I'm a wuss!). You don't have to read the first book to get an understanding of the second, but I think it'd help.

If you like Harry Potter and all his crazy adventures, then you WILL enjoy the Kimi books. Totally different in story and characterisation, yet full of larger-than-life characters, fearsome enemies and wonderful heroics, which is what make the Potter books so successful. Kimi's Secret and Kimi's Fear deserves to be out there on the shelves alongside Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland and the rest. It was a pleasure to read and review.

Blurb: Kimi’s secret is out – her brain is the key to successful time travel - and a ruthless greylian bounty hunter will break every bone in her body to get at it. As if that isn’t bad enough, the best looking boy in the world turns into a cannibal intent on devouring every last bit of her. Sometimes life really does suck.

Can Kimi thwart the bounty hunter, kill the boy of her dreams to save her own life, tame her greatest fear and keep herself from becoming greylian toast? Not without help. 

Tulpa Bentley returns with old favourites the famoose, Big Sue the giant with OCD, madcap mentor Stella, and chief of fuzz the monkey Rehd along with a whole host of new crazies in an adventure bigger and bolder than before.

“Kimi’s Fear is magical but dark, sad but romantic, and meaningful but bonkers all rolled into one.” 

“Deep, profound, scary as hell, and all the makings of a classic.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember my reviews are my opinion, and I am a VERY fussy reader.